Clients often ask me what a typical day (or better, week) looks like when I manage their marketing team as a "Shared" CMO.
The below overview is based on being 100% accountable for Marketing results of a SaaS B2B Company under $50M in Annual Recurring Revenue (ARR).
Weekly activities for a Fractional SaaS Marketing VP
- Weekly Team meeting (including prep and follow up) - 3 hours
- Reporting to the CEO (1-1, based on Core KPIs) - 1 hour
- Updating and acting on Marketing Dashboard and Performance - 1 hour
- 1-1s with the team members (planning, coaching, follow up) - 6 hours
- Managing vendors, subcontractors, agencies - 3 hours
- Individual work on strategy, competition, positioning, partnerships, hiring - 4 hours
- Working as part of the company executive team (meetings, 1-1s, alignment) - 4 hours
The above can range from 10 to 40 hours per week based on the size, maturity, complexity and growth stage of a B2B SaaS company. The quality of the people on the marketing team will improve over time and help reduce the investment needed as the engagement progresses.
The different stages require a different approach. The above is a good overview though.